Text Messaging Campaigns Setup (Twilio)
DonorSnap integrates with Twilio to send text messages from DonorSnap to your supporters. This integration is included in all DonorSnap subscriptions but requires a separate account with Twilio.
(New features must be enabled for any user that needs access: How To Enable New Features)
Key benefits of integration:
- Send mass text messages to phone numbers in a DataMiner Platinum list
- Include a short link to your online donation forms (Text-to-Donate)
- See responses in the Text Tracking page
- Unsubscribes automatically managed by Twilio
- Export unsubscribes and resubscribes for easy mass updating in DonorSnap
Twilio.org Impact Access ($500 credit for nonprofits)
Eligible organizations (registered 501(c)(3) organization or your domestic equivalent, or a B Corp or social enterprise committed to creating a positive social impact) will receive a $500 credit in their Twilio account. This value is equal to roughly 80,000 text messages. To get started visit https://twilio.org/application/ and follow the steps to create a twilio.com account and submit the necessary documents for your application.
Integration Setup Steps
- Go to https://twilio.org/application and click the “Create a Twilio Account” button. Complete the steps to finish creating your trial account. (No billing information is needed at this step.)
- Return to twilio.org/application and click the “Sign Up for Impact Access” button. Complete the application process. Approval takes 1-2 weeks, but you can continue setting up your account and begin using it.
- Claim a phone number and configure the DonorSnap API webhook address
- Click the All Products and Services icon on the far left of your screen (Circle with 3 dots inside it)
- Click “Phone Numbers”
- Purchase a new phone number with SMS capabilities (can be purchased using the $15 credit included in all trial accounts)
- In the phone number Configure screen, scroll down to the Messaging section. Next to the “A Message Comes In” section for Webhook add: https://api.donorsnap.com/sghook/api/TWSMSReply
- Add verified numbers for use during the trial period (trial accounts can only send to verified numbers)
- Click the Verified Caller IDs link on the left under the Phone Numbers menu.
- Click the + icon to add new numbers that you wish to send to during the trial period
- Log in to DonorSnap and navigate to Maintenance > Site Setup > Integrations and click the Twilio tab.
- Enter your Twilio account information and phone number found on the Twilio dashboard page
At this point you are all set to send text messages to the phone number that you verified in Twilio. When you are ready to send to any phone number, you will need to upgrade your account to a paid account. Go to the Twilio account dashboard and click the Upgrade button when you are ready to start sending to any phone number. NOTE: You will lose any remaining trial funds balance that you have in your account when you upgrade.